14 July 2009
the final negotiations are still underway at the moment; it looks like we may have an extension of the stay beyond 24 hours (all those protests in the US have paid off); all of our aid is permitted to enter, but not the vehicles (unless there’s a miraculous breakthrough in the next hour or so) save for a few ambulances. Many of us were forced to spend precious time (about 5 hours) at the US embassy this morning signing affidavits; this is the text of the affidavit:
“I have read and understand the travel warming issued by US Dept. of State relating to travel to the Gaza Strip;
I assume the risk for myself and I understand the Embassy does not recommend my travel to the Gaza Strip;
I also understand that the Embassy cannot provide me with consular services in the Gaza Strip”
our tax dollars at work!!
It looks like we will only have 24 hours after all; the Egyptian authorities have been very obstinate. We will hopefully enter Gaza tomorrow morning (best case scenario) or Thursday morning. All the supplies will come with us, but not the vehicles (except for two ambulances). There are three young French men from Paris with us.
Happy Bastille Day!
Viva Palestina! liberté, fraternité, égalité!!
Our friends at the Rafah border are waiting them.
See also a video made with pics tahen at the Rafah border since 1 month: