February 2007 marks the second anniversary of the weekly non-violent protests in opposition to the “work-site of shame” for the Apartheid Wall that has annexed almost 60% of the land of Bil’in village in the West Bank. Bil’in has become a symbol both of the theft of land across Palestine and of the power of non-violent grassroots movements in building local and international resistance to Occupation.
The International Conference will follow upon a Palestinian conference to be held in March to extend the Popular Non-Violent Struggle across Palestine and offers Israelis and Internationals opportunity to join their Palestinian partners in spreading non-violent resistance to the injustice suffered by Palestinians: land confiscation, home demolitions, checkpoints, and imprisonment behind the Wall.
The year between June 2007 and May 2008 provides an effective framework for highlighting the ongoing Palestinian catastrophe: 90 years since the Balfour Declaration, 60 years since the Nakba, 40 years of Occupation, 25 years since Sabra/Shatila, 20 years since the First Intifada, 5 years of building the Apartheid Wall. Join us in strategizing effective, concerted non-violent action in Palestine and across the globe!
WHEN: 18 – 20 APRIL, 2007 with a major non-violent action on the final day
WHERE: Bil’in Village near Ramallah, Palestine (http://www.bilin-village.org)
- Dr. Azmi Bishara, Palestinian Israeli Knesset member
- Mairead Corrigan Maguire, Irish Nobel Peace Prize recipient
- Dr. Ilan Pappe, author of The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine
- Luisa Morgantini, Italian EU Parliament member and Peace Activist
- Stéphane Hessel, former French Ambassador
- Jean-Claude Lefort, French parliament member
- Amira Hass, author and journalist, Ha’aretz
- Sam Bahour, Palestinian activist and entrepreneur
- Representatives of the Bil’in Popular Committee
WORKSHOPS: NON-VIOLENT STRATEGIES TO OPPOSE OPPRESSION
- Boycott, divestment, and sanctions
- Building economic independence
- Media & Advocacy
- Direct Action
COST: Accommodation per night, 20 Euros plus Conference Registration, 20 Euros per day (April 18 -19)
TO REGISTER and for information on options for pre-and-post conference activities see: www.bilin-village.org