20 February 2012 | International Solidarity Movement, West Bank
Beginning this week local organizers in Al Khalil (Hebron) and supporters have organized a series of events to commemorate the Baruch Goldstein Massacre and demand the re-opening of Shuhada Street, once the commercial heart of Al Khalil, now off limits to locals, Palestinians in general, and even international supporters following the massacre that claimed 29 Palestinian lives.
While one street may seem insignificant or small, the segregation, economic strangulation, violence, and oppression that Shuhada Street suffers is a microcosm of Zionist policy. As extremist settlers continue to harass and violently attack Palestinians and internationals, and the Golani Brigade continues to show no accountability or concern for international law, it is all the more essential that this street be the symbolic avenue of freedom for Palestinians.
An illegal Zionist settlement pollutes the very heart of a historic piece of Al Khalil now overtaken with settler violence, racial epithets, and sadly, pure hatred for Palestinians and their supporters.
The residents of Al Khalil, Palestinian activists, and International Solidarity Movement call on the international community to display their support in a project that will showcase international solidarity for the opening of Shuhada Street.
As such we ask that the international community submits a photo of solidarity to International Solidarity Movement. This photo will be of a major street or landmark of your hometown with a display or sign of solidarity for Shuhada Street. Diversity in support for human rights can humanize the victims of Zionist oppression in Al Khalil and elsewhere.
Get creative with your slogans and locations! Please note that multiple photos from the same location will not all be published, so local organizing in deciding a location in your community is suggested, or the ISM media team will select 1 photo from each location.
In order to participate, please submit a photo to email@example.com and keep in mind the following guidelines:
- In the subject line of your email please be sure to write “Open Shuhada Street Photo Campaign”
- Photos should not be a maximum of 1 MB
- A poster, sign, clothing or any other visual statement supporting the opening of Shuhada Street should be visible in the photo along with the landmark or major street
- It is not necessary for individuals to be a part of the picture, as your privacy is honored, however if individuals can please indicate their names (if they wish to be identified)
- Please include a location of the photo (example: Hollywood sign, Hollywood, California) in the email
- Include the date when the photograph was taken in the email
- If the visual is written in a language other than English, please write the statement in the body of the email in order to be translated.
- Photos are original and not edited or borrowed from another entity
- Please submit photos no later than April 2nd
ISM Palestine looks forward to receiving your photographs. Stay tuned for a publication on April 4th on palsolidarity.org.