Home / Hebron / Clashes for two days in the Palestinian city of Hebron

Clashes for two days in the Palestinian city of Hebron

03rd January 2014 | International Solidarity Movement, Khalil Team | Hebron, Occupied Palestine

At approximately 11.30am yesterday morning, Israeli forces detained a 13-year-old boy at Bab Al-Baladiyye in Khalil (Hebron). After a short period of time the young boy was released and a group of Israeli soldiers invaded the old city of Hebron, harassing residents and demanding identification from a number of Palestinians.

The group of Israeli soldiers started to walk down New Al-Shallalah street detaining a 14-year-old Palestinian for an unknown period of time before releasing him shortly after international activists arrived. Israeli forces continued to harass people in the area before heading towards Bab Al-Zawiye, the city center, where residents had started to gather after the anniversary party for Fatah’s founding ended.

The Palestinian youth present reacted to these series of events by throwing stones at the Israeli soldiers. The stone throwing and military presence began a clash between Israeli forces and Palestinian youth, with Israeli soldiers and border police throwing stun grenades and tear gas grenades from the street and from a rooftop as they backed down on to New Al-Shallalah street. During the clashes the Israeli forces repeatedly invaded the old city of Hebron, apparently searching shops for male Palestinian youth.

The clashes continued for many hours and became more violent as Israeli soldiers and border police positioned themselves at checkpoint 56 [an entrance to H2] and on nearby rooftops. Israeli forces fired a large amount of stun grenades, rubber-coated steel bullets and tear gas grenades and canisters. Many shops and businesses where forced to close because of the tear gas and the violent interruption in the city.

One Palestinian was shot with unknown ammunition as Israeli soldiers were sniping demonstrators from various points in the city. Once shot, the young man lost consciousness, he was carried away from the clash and taken to a nearby hospital.

The clashes continued until late in the evening.

Today, Friday 3rd January, clashes began at approximately 2pm when five Israeli soldiers invaded a house in the H1 area of Hebron and positioned themselves on the roof. Palestinian youth began to gather between the house and Bab Al-Zawiye before eventually throwing stones at the invading soldiers.

During the clash, Israeli forces fired stun grenades, tear gas canisters and a large amount of rubber-coated steel bullets.  One Palestinian youth was shot in the leg with a rubber-coated steel bullet but did not require hospital treatment. Another youth was evacuated by ambulance to a local hospital after losing consciousness due to tear gas inhalation.