Updates from the Free Gaza Movement
- The Free Gaza Movement is reporting that the passengers have been transferred to a prison in Ramle for illegal immigrants and will be tried for “entering Israel illegally”.
- Adam Qvist and Adam Shapiro taken away in a truck for deportation. Mairead forcibly removed from rest of group in handcuffs. All isolated.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
(23 miles off the coast of Gaza, 15:30pm) – Today Israeli Occupation Forces attacked and boarded the Free Gaza Movement boat, the SPIRIT OF HUMANITY, abducting 21 human rights workers from 11 countries, including Noble laureate Mairead Maguire and former U.S. Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney (see below for a complete list of passengers). The passengers and crew are being forcibly dragged toward Israel.
“This is an outrageous violation of international law against us. Our boat was not in Israeli waters, and we were on a human rights mission to the Gaza Strip,” said Cynthia McKinney, a former U.S. Congresswoman and presidential candidate. “President Obama just told Israel to let in humanitarian and reconstruction supplies, and that’s exactly what we tried to do. We’re asking the international community to demand our release so we can resume our journey.”
According to an International Committee of the Red Cross report released yesterday, the Palestinians living in Gaza are “trapped in despair.” Thousands of Gazans whose homes were destroyed earlier during Israel’s December/January massacre are still without shelter despite pledges of almost $4.5 billion in aid, because Israel refuses to allow cement and other building material into the Gaza Strip. The report also notes that hospitals are struggling to meet the needs of their patients due to Israel’s disruption of medical supplies.
“The aid we were carrying is a symbol of hope for the people of Gaza, hope that the sea route would open for them, and they would be able to transport their own materials to begin to reconstruct the schools, hospitals and thousands of homes destroyed during the onslaught of “Cast Lead”. Our mission is a gesture to the people of Gaza that we stand by them and that they are not alone” said fellow passenger Mairead Maguire, winner of a Noble Peace Prize for her work in Northern Ireland.
Just before being kidnapped by Israel, Huwaida Arraf, Free Gaza Movement chairperson and delegation co-coordinator on this voyage, stated that: “No one could possibly believe that our small boat constitutes any sort of threat to Israel. We carry medical and reconstruction supplies, and children’s toys. Our passengers include a Nobel peace prize laureate and a former U.S. congressperson. Our boat was searched and received a security clearance by Cypriot Port Authorities before we departed, and at no time did we ever approach Israeli waters.”
Arraf continued, “Israel’s deliberate and premeditated attack on our unarmed boat is a clear violation of international law and we demand our immediate and unconditional release.”
WHAT YOU CAN DO!
CONTACT the Israeli Ministry of Justice
tel: +972 2646 6666 or +972 2646 6340
fax: +972 2646 6357
CONTACT the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs
tel: +972 2530 3111
fax: +972 2530 3367
CONTACT Mark Regev in the Prime Minister’s office at:
tel: +972 5 0620 3264 or +972 2670 5354
Kidnapped Passengers from the Spirit of Humanity include:
- Khalad Abdelkader, Bahrain
Khalad is an engineer representing the Islamic Charitable Association of Bahrain.
- Othman Abufalah, Jordan
Othman is a world-renowned journalist with al-Jazeera TV.
- Khaled Al-Shenoo, Bahrain
Khaled is a lecturer with the University of Bahrain.
- Mansour Al-Abi, Yemen
Mansour is a cameraman with Al-Jazeera TV.
- Fatima Al-Attawi, Bahrain
Fatima is a relief worker and community activist from Bahrain.
- Juhaina Alqaed, Bahrain
Juhaina is a journalist & human rights activist.
- Huwaida Arraf, US
Huwaida is the Chair of the Free Gaza Movement and delegation co-coordinator for this voyage.
- Ishmahil Blagrove, UK
Ishmahil is a Jamaican-born journalist, documentary film maker and founder of the Rice & Peas film production company. His documentaries focus on international struggles for social justice.
- Kaltham Ghloom, Bahrain
Kaltham is a community activist.
- Derek Graham, Ireland
Derek Graham is an electrician, Free Gaza organizer, and first mate aboard the Spirit of Humanity.
- Alex Harrison, UK
Alex is a solidarity worker from Britain. She is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Denis Healey, UK
Denis is Captain of the Spirit of Humanity. This will be his fifth voyage to Gaza.
- Fathi Jaouadi, UK
Fathi is a British journalist, Free Gaza organizer, and delegation co-coordinator for this voyage.
- Mairead Maguire, Ireland
Mairead is a Nobel laureate and renowned peace activist.
- Lubna Masarwa, Palestine/Israel
Lubna is a Palestinian human rights activist and Free Gaza organizer.
- Theresa McDermott, Scotland
Theresa is a solidarity worker from Scotland. She is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Cynthia McKinney, US
Cynthia McKinney is an outspoken advocate for human rights and social justice issues, as well as a former U.S. congressperson and presidential candidate.
- Adnan Mormesh, UK
Adnan is a solidarity worker from Britain. He is traveling to Gaza to do long-term human rights monitoring.
- Adam Qvist, Denmark
Adam is a solidarity worker from Denmark. He is traveling to Gaza to do human rights monitoring.
- Adam Shapiro, US
Adam is an American documentary film maker and human rights activist.
- Kathy Sheetz, US
Kathy is a nurse and film maker, traveling to Gaza to do human rights monitoring.
Updates & Press Links
- Alternet: Cynthia McKinney Detained (Again) by Israeli Defense Force; Israeli Protesters Brutally Beaten in West Bank
- IPS: Nobel Laureate ‘Abducted’ by Israeli Navy
- AP: Israeli navy commandeers Gaza aid boat
- Belfast Telegraph: Two Irish activists among 21 detained by Israel
- Reuters India: Israeli navy boards activist ship to Gaza
- Atlanta Journal Constitution: Israel releases two from detained ship; McKinney still aboard
- Ha’aretz: Navy seizes aid boat heading toward Gaza Strip
- Irish Times: Peace activists’ ferry to Gaza seized by Israeli navy
- Christian Science Monitor: How Israel’s naval blockade denies Gazans food, aid
- Press Association: Concern over seized Gaza activists
- Ireland Online: Irish citizens face arrest as Gaza aid ship towed to Israeli port
- Xinhua: Arab League Chief condemns Israeli offensive on “Spirit of Humanity”