Israel begins expanding settlement in Jenin

Saturday, October 16th, 2010 | Ma’an News Agency

JENIN (Ma’an) — Israel began large-scale digging works on Saturday in preparation for the expansion of an illegal settlement in the northern West Bank district of Jenin.

Residents of the Ya’bad village, on which the Shaqed settlement is built, said bulldozers entered on Saturday and began razing village land to make way for several new housing units.

The expansion follows the expiration of a partial settlement moratorium in the West Bank last month, which the US and EU urged Israel to prolong in a bid to save flailing peace talks from collapse over settlement activity.

The Ya’bad village is surrounded by several Israeli settlements including Shaqed, Rehan, Hinnanit, Mevo Dotan and Hermesh.

On Friday, the US said it was disappointed by Israel’s announcement that several new homes in two illegal East Jerusalem settlements had been approved, describing the move as “contrary” to efforts to resume direct negotiations.

International aid convoy to Gaza due to sail Sunday

15 October 2010 | Palestine Solidarity Campaign

LONDON – October 15 – A ship loaded with vehicles and aid for Gaza is due to leave Syria for Egypt this Sunday, carrying members of Palestine Solidarity CampaignUK.

The ship will pass the exact place in international waters where Israel boarded the Mavi Marmara in May and killed nine Turkish humanitarians on board as they attempted to sail to Gaza to deliver aid.

Those on board the ship, including 40 survivors of the Mavi Marmara attack, will throw a wreath into the sea to commemorate those killed by Israeli troops.

They have come from more than 30 countries, in the first international aid convoy to attempt to reach Gaza since the attack on the Mavi Marmara nearly five months ago.

Amena Saleem, of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign UK (PSC), who will be sailing on the ship, said: ‘We will be sailing, completely unarmed, to Egypt from where we will drive 20 miles to Gaza to break the illegal siege imposed by Israel four years ago. We are all aware of the lethal force Israel used on the Mavi Marmara against international civilians on an aid mission, but we will not be deterred. We will never turn our backs on Gaza, despite all of Israel’s efforts to force us to do so.’

She added: ‘It is now time for the depth of our commitment to Palestine to be reflected by our governments – ordinary people are demanding an end to Israel’s illegal occupation of Gaza and the West Bank, and an end to the siege of Gaza. Governments, by applying international pressure, can make this happen and we call on them to listen to their people and do so immediately.’

Turkey will not attend OECD conference, minister says

12 October 2010 |ANKARA – Hürriyet Daily News

Turkey will not send any delegation to a biannual tourism conference in Israel later this month, the country’s culture minister said Tuesday, marking the first boycott of Israel on a multilateral level since a deadly raid on a Turkish aid ship in May.

Culture and Tourism Minister Ertuğrul Günay told a group of reporters Tuesday that Turkey would not send any representative to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, or OECD, conference on Oct. 20-22 in Jerusalem. “Regrettable statements have been made. We want tourism to take place, not politics,” he said.

Diplomatic sources told the Hürriyet Daily News & Economic Review that the Turkish decision would mark the first boycott of Israel on a multilateral platform. Despite the May 31 flotilla incident, an Israeli Foreign Ministry diplomat attended a meeting of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia, or CICA, last week in Ankara.

Initially, Turkey intended to send the ministry’s deputy undersecretary, Özgür Özaslan, to the tourism conference, but Ankara changed its decision after evaluating the situation.

Spain and Britain will also not attend the OECD conference.

Israeli press claimed Palestinians were pressuring European countries to shun the conference on sustainable tourism, which normally takes place in Paris, on the grounds that the event would take place in east Jerusalem, considered the capital of the future Palestinian state.

Diplomatic sources, however, told the Daily News that the conference would take place in west Jerusalem.

Bil’in’s Abdallah Abu Rahmah sentenced to a year in prison

11 October 2010 | Popular Struggle Coordination Committee

Bil’in protest organizer Abdallah Abu Rahmah was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment today, for his involvement in his village’s unarmed struggle against the wall.

Abdallah Abu Rahmah was sentenced today to 12 months in prison, plus 6 months suspended sentence for 3 years and a fine of 5,000 NIS. In the sentencing, the judge cited the non-implementation of an Israeli High Court ruling which declared the current route of the wall on Bil’in’s land illegal as a mitigating factor.

The military prosecution is likely to appeal this sentencing – as they did in the case of Adeeb Abu Rahmah, who was also sentenced for 12 months on similar charges but is still in prison after 15 months, pending the decision about the prosecution’s appeal. The defense attorney, adv. Gaby Lasky, is considering an appeal against Abu Rahma’s conviction.

Today’s sentencing hearing was attended by diplomats from the United Kingdom, the European Union, Belgium, Germany along with representatives of UNSCO and Human Rights Watch.

“The Israeli army, which served as prosecutor, judge and jury in this case, is try to use Abu Rahmah to set an example that will deter people from protesting. They have even said so themselves”, said Mohammed Khatib of the Popular Struggle Coordination Committee. “Their message falls on deaf ears, as we have no choice but to continue struggling for our lands, our freedom and our dignity”, he added.

Background

Abu Rahmah, the coordinator of the Bil’in Popular Committee Against the Wall and Settlements, was arrested last year by soldiers who raided his home at the middle of the night and was subsequently indicted before an Israeli military court on unsubstantiated charges that included stone-throwing and arms possession. Abu Rahmah was cleared of both the stone-throwing and arms possession charges, but convicted of organizing illegal demonstrations and incitement.

An exemplary case of mal-use of the Israeli military legal system in the West Bank for the purpose of silencing legitimate political dissent, Abu Rahmah’s conviction was subject to harsh international criticism. The EU foreign policy chief, Catherine Ashton, expressed her deep concern “that the possible imprisonment of Mr Abu Rahma is intended to prevent him and other Palestinians from exercising their legitimate right to protest[…]”, after EU diplomats attended all hearings in Abu Rahmah’s case. Ashton’s statement was followed by one from the Spanish Parliament.

Renowned South African human right activist, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, called on Israel to overturn Abu Rahmah’s conviction on behalf of the Elders, a group of international public figures noted as elder statesmen, peace activists, and human rights advocates, brought together by Nelson Mandela. Members of the Elders, including Tutu, have met with Abu Rahmah on their visit to Bil’in prior to his arrest.

International human rights organizations Amnesty International condemned Abu Rahmah’s conviction as an assault on the right to freedom of expression. Human Rights Watch denounced the conviction, pronouncing the whole process “an unfair trial”.

Legal Background

Abu Rahmah, the coordinator of the Bil’in Popular Committee Against the Wall and Settlements, was acquitted of two out of the four charges brought against him in the indictment – stone-throwing and a ridiculous and vindictive arms possession charge. According to the indictment, Abu Rahmah collected used tear-gas projectiles and bullet cases shot at demonstrators, with the intention of exhibiting them to show the violence used against demonstrators. This absurd charge is a clear example of how eager the military prosecution is to use legal procedures as a tool to silence and smear unarmed dissent.

The court did, however, find Abu Rahmah guilty of two of the most draconian anti-free speech articles in military legislation: incitement, and organizing and participating in illegal demonstrations. It did so based only on testimonies of minors who were arrested in the middle of the night and denied their right to legal counsel, and despite acknowledging significant ills in their questioning.

The court was also undeterred by the fact that the prosecution failed to provide any concrete evidence implicating Abu Rahmah in any way, despite the fact that all demonstrations in Bil’in are systematically filmed by the army.

Under military law, incitement is defined as “The attempt, verbally or otherwise, to influence public opinion in the Area in a way that may disturb the public peace or public order” (section 7(a) of the Order Concerning Prohibition of Activities of Incitement and Hostile Propaganda (no.101), 1967), and carries a 10 years maximal sentence.

PCHR Condemns Continued Detention of Islamic Jihad Leader in Violation of Law

5 October 2010
http://www.pchrgaza.org

The Palestinian Centre for Human Rights (PCHR) condemns the continued illegal detention of Khader ‘Adnan Mousa, 32, a leader of Islamic Jihad, from ‘Arraba village southwest of Jenin, by the General Intelligence Service (GIS). PCHR is concerned over Mousa’s health condition, who had been in a hunger strike since the beginning of his detention on 29 September 2010. PCHR further reiterates its call for the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) and its security services to stop arbitrary detentions, and to release all political detainees as a step towards putting an end to the issue of political detentions.

According to investigations conducted by PCHR and the testimony of Mousa’s wife, Randa Mousa, at approximately 09:45 on Wednesday, 29 September 2010, a GIS force raided al-Qana’a Bakery opposite to the market of vegetables in Qabatya village, southeast of Jenin, and arrested its owner, Khader Mousa. On Saturday, 02 October 2010, Mousa’s wife received a phone call from him, in which he informed her that he was presented to the Military Prosecution, and asked her to inform his lawyer to visit him. The wife stated, according to her husband’s lawyer, that the Military Prosecution accused him of joining illegal militias, and that he had been in a hunger strike since the first moment he was arrested. According to the wife, her husband was subjected to shabeh,[1] and his eyeglasses were confiscated.

PCHR repeats its condemnation of Mousa’s detention, and:

1. Reminds of the Palestinian Supreme Court of the Justice ruling on 20 February 1999, which considers political detention illegal and demands all executive bodies to respect the Court ruling and refrain from practicing political detention;

2. Emphasizes that detention is governed by the Palestinian law and falls within the competence of judicial warranty officers, represented by the police, under direct supervision of the Attorney-General; and

3. Calls for the immediate release of all political detainees who are held by Palestinian security services in the West Bank.

For more information please call PCHR office in Gaza, Gaza Strip, on +972 8 2824776 – 2825893

PCHR, 29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip. E-mail: pchr@pchrgaza.org, Webpage http://www.pchrgaza.org

[1] Shabeh is the combination of methods, used for prolonged periods, entailing sensory isolation, sleep deprivation, and infliction of pain.